The activity of the Control Process Area of the Instituto ai2 is focused on the integration of advanced automatic control, sensors and automation systems for industrial production. These technologies can be applied to almost all sectors and production processes: process industry, aeronautics, generation of scattered and renewable energy, biotechnology and biomedicine, automotive industry, manufacturing processes, chemical industry, etc.
Research Lines and Technologies
Network Control Systems
Modeling and Control of Complex Systems
- It reduces the weight of the wiring.
- It increases the available bandwidth.
- It reduces energy costs.
- Wide range for operating and robust performances if a change occurs in the process.
- Reduction of interactions in multivariate processes.
- Applications in biotechnology, biomedicine and synthetic biology.
Industrial processes optimization
Control of electronic power systems
- Multivariate predictive control.
- Economic optimization in smart processes operation.
- Integration with the SCADA/DCS systems in the industrial plant.
- Electronic converter with network connection.
- Electromechanical switches.
- DC-DC multilevel modular converters.
Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Artificial pancreas.
- Modeling of the glucoregulatory system.
- Prediction of glucose variability.
- Continuous glucose monitoring.
- Custom design sensorization.
- Custom-designed systems.
- Applications in and outdoors.
UAVs Systems Design
Power consumption optimization in big buildings
- Development of autopilots, and guided and navigation algorithms.
- Dynamic aircraft modeling.
- Development of HIL systems for missions testing.
- Geolocation Control Systems (GCS).
- Smart-SP planning for HVAC systems.
- Weather forecasting integration (AEMET).
- Temperature and humidity control minimizing resources.
Hybrid Generation Systems
Fuel Cells Control
- Current and wind generation.
- Remote monitoring.
- Stability control.
- Effectiveness optimization according to the charge.
- Control systems design (temperature, humidity, pressure, etc.).
- Comprehensive management for mobile and static applications.
Supervision of Multi-protocol Hybrid Generation Micro Networks
Integration and control of off-shore wind farms
- Multi-protocol monitoring.
- Fault diagnosis.
- Versatile and flexible.
- Integration of wind farms using HVDC connections.
- HVDC stations based on a rectifying diode.
- Turbine and wind farms control.
Custom-design industrial interfaces
Aerial robotics applications
- Monitoring of non-critical processes with low cost HW.
- Custom-design protocols conversion.
- Integration with corporate databases.
- Inspection using remote and autonomous control navigation.
- Interior and exterior.
- Security applications.
The research, development and innovation activities in the Process Control field are the basis of the Instituto ai2. They are performed by the following R&D groups: